Health Benefits of Drinking Lemon Water & Tasty Recipes to Add to Your Day
Lemon water is a popular health drink that is often consumed first thing in the morning. There are many claimed benefits of drinking lemon water, including weight loss, improved digestion, and increased hydration. While there is some anecdotal evidence to support these claims, there is also scientific research to back them up. For example, lemon water can help to promote weight loss by increasing the body’s metabolism. If you want to learn more about lemon water’s advantages and some tasty lemon water recipes, stick around till the end!
The Advantages of Lemon Water
Drinking lemon water has been around for generations. It can be consumed for many different reasons. Here are five reasons why you should make it a part of your morning routine:
- Lemon water is a great source of vitamin C and potassium. These essential nutrients help to boost immunity and muscle strength, fight off infection, and promote healthy skin.
- Lemon peels are also rich in antioxidants, which protect the body against damage from free radicals (oxidative damage). Free radicals have been linked to several health conditions, including cancer and heart disease.
- Lemon water can help to improve digestion by stimulating the production of digestive acids and supporting liver function.
- Drinking fresh lemon water regularly can also help to reduce kidney stones.
- Finally, lemon water is just plain refreshing! It’s a great way to wake up your taste buds and start your day on a positive note.
Five Simple Lemon Water Recipes
Many people question; fresh lemonade near me? Well, you don’t have to find one when you can easily make one. Here are five simple recipes for lemon water that you can enjoy any time of day:
- Plain Lemon Water - Simply add the juice of one lemon to a glass of cold water. This can be done by squeezing the lemon juice into your glass or cutting the lemon into wedges and adding to a pitcher of water overnight!
- Fresh Lemonade - First, start by juicing your lemons. You'll need about 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice for every 1 quart of water. Next, add sugar to taste. Start with 1/4 cup and add more if needed. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, then add cold water and serve over ice.
- Lemon-Ginger Water - This beverage is perfect for those who need an energizing boost first thing in the morning. Simply combine the juice of one lemon with a slice of fresh ginger and add it to a glass of cold water. For an extra zing, add a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Cranberry-Lemon Water - This refreshing drink is perfect for summertime sipping. Combine the juice of one lemon with 1/4 cup of cranberry juice and add it to a glass of cold water. Garnish with fresh cranberries if desired.
- Mint-Lemon Water - This cooling drink is ideal for hot days or after a workout. Combine the juice of one lemon with 1/4 cup of mint leaves and add it to a glass of cold water. Garnish with additional mint leaves if desired.
There are countless benefits to drinking lemon water, including improved digestion and skin health. Add a squeeze of lemon to your existing water routine to jazz up your H2O and provide some extra health benefits that taste great!
1. PubMed: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25912765/
2. National Library of Medicine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7874231/
3. UC San Diego Health: https://health.ucsd.edu/news/2010/Pages/4-22-kidney-stones.aspx#:~:text=In%20a%20recent%20study%20conducted,to%200.13%20stones%20per%20patient.